Our view

Our view

Sunday, September 7, 2014

What To Do With Leftover Pork Stock?

Lisa made a really great pork tenderloin dinner in the crock pot (I love crock pot meals) and while cleaning up the leftovers there was so much really good stock left over that it seemed a shame to just throw it out.  I think living on the farm has made me a little more resourceful in using what we have.  Anyway, I saved the pork stock along with the left over potatoes, carrots and onions to make pork soup.  I Googled pork soup and the closet thing I could find was pork chop soup.  I guess pork stock is not a common use for making things.  I mean chicken and beef broth are used in a lot of recipes.  So, I bought some pork gravy mixes and put that into the stock for flavor and thickening then added the potatoes, carrots, onions, leftover green beans and a can of Veg-all.  I put it all into the crockpot, added egg noodles and let it cook on low for 8 hours.  It was actually rather tasty but it did need more salt.  I dumped a bunch of different spices in but it still needed more salt.  One thing I would change if I ever make Vegetable Pork soup again is to add the egg noodles towards the end.  The noodles were cooked way too long and were just mush.  We did have leftover pork lion that I should of saved for the soup but instead I mixed it with BBQ sauce and made pull pork sandwiches.  So, from Lisa's pork loin dinner we managed to get four plus dinners out of it: 1) the pork loin dinner, 2) pulled pork sandwiches, 3) Vegetable pork soup, and 4,5 & 6 Vegetable pork soup.  I would say that was being resourceful with the leftovers. 
Along with the soup, we watched a lot of College Football.  All five of my teams won yesterday!!!  Way to go Lumberjacks, Huskies, Gators, Gamecocks and Ducks!  I had to post a picture of my little Gator girl, Rory.  Rory is our granddaughter.  She is 16 weeks old now and we just love her so much. I know part of the reason Florida did so well yesterday is because she was rooting for them. 
Today we will begin working on the cabin's interior.  The exterior looks great and turned out better then we thought.  Today is also Week 1 of NFL Football.  GO BEARS!  Check back tomorrow to see the progress we made in the cabin. Also, if you want my recipe for Veg. Pork soup let me know!

3 comments: