Our view

Our view

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A New Recipe And Electricity

I tried a brand new recipe, to us, and at first I was a little worried about it.  The ingredients all sounded good but not what we would usually eat.  I made Turkey Vegetable Chili Mac.  The reason I said I was worried is because Tim and I are not real fans of ground turkey but we are changing our ways due to this recipe.  We are also not huge fans of tomatoes but once again it worked.  The meal was prepared in a slow cooker, I love slow cooker meals, which makes cooking so much easier.  The ingredients are easy to work with and in 5 hours we had a really good meal.  I will post the recipe at the end of the blog.  Of course I could not just follow it completely and did some changes to it.
Yesterday Tim worked on the electricity in the cottage and I helped Lisa clean up some appliances.  When Lisa and George bought their house it was owned by someone else about an hour from Parrottsville.  George saw a Craigslist ad that someone was selling their cabin and everything in it for a very low price.  George didn't think it would be much but he looked at it anyway and since he  liked what he saw he bought it, hired a team to help him take it apart and move it to his property.  He has since been rebuilding it but making it better.  Along with the purchase was a year old refrigerator and stove.  Now they were in pretty rough condition for being a year old mostly due to filth.  It is kind of scary to think how some people live  but Lisa and I spent a few hours working on them and now they are spotless and will look nice in the house.  I wish we would of taken a before and after picture but since we did not just imagine the appliances looking like night and then when we were done they turned into day!
Today we begin to insulate the cottage walls.  I will be fully covered so I will not have another reaction to the insulation.  The Crafty Cottage is moving along really well and we are hoping that I will be able to move all my supplies in it in the next couple of weeks!


Here is the recipe for Turkey Vegetable Chili Mac
 (courtesy of Crock Pot Slow Cooker Recipes)
Ingredients
3/4 pound ground turkey breast ( I used 1 pound Italian seasoned ground turkey)
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used the low sodium black beans)
1 14 oz can of Mexican-style diced tomatoes ( I used Italian seasoned ones)
1 14oz can oz diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn (I used one small bag of frozen corn)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used 1/2 cup of dried minced onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning ( I used 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning)
1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni ( I used 1 cup with a 1/2 cup of V8 juice added)
Instructions
1. Brown the ground turkey, drain if needed
2. Put cooked meat in slow cooker then add beans, tomatoes, corn, onions, garlic and seasoning.
3. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours (I cooked it for 4 hours)
4. Stir in macaroni (and V8 if adding a cup of macaroni) ,cover and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Stir, cover and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes ( I did 30 minutes)

Serve with grated cheese and sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment