Our view

Our view

Monday, September 15, 2014

Church and Rolling Poly

Lisa and I attended Parrottsville United Methcodist Church yesterday. We had been invited by a member of the church, Pat, whom we met at the Parrottsville Laundry Mat last week. Since I am a United Methodist and Lisa was we decided to go check out Sunday's Church service. It is a small church but very friendly. We were greeted by Pat when we came in and a couple of other ladies came to welcom us too. Now being a United Methodist I know the rules of the pews. United Methodists like to sit in the same pew every Sunday and it almost becomes a territorial. This is not exclusive to just Methodists; Baptist, Presbyterians, etc are the same. So one of the hardest things when attending a new church is to know where you can sit. You would think that sitting in one of the back pews would be safe but another known fact about Methodists is that the back pews are the most popular pews. So do you sit in the front pew? Those are usually empty but a little intimadating to someone new. So, where did we decide to sit. We chose the second from the back pew on the left side. It was a good choice! During the meet and greet portion of the service several members, including the Pastor, made their way over to greet us. There was a small choir (about 8 members) but there sounded pretty good. It was a nice service and I will probably return after checking out a couple of other churches in the area. After Church, I painted the ceiling in the Crafty Cottage with Polyurethane. Now, I said yesterday I am not a painter and I have never worked with Polyurethane but how hard could it be? Well, let me just say if there was a Three Stooges episode dealing with poly I would of been the 4th stooge. Tim came over to get me started and I did not hear him say he had opened the poly can for me; I was getting my Zune, yes I still have a Zune, ready to listen to while I painted. So after he walked out I reached for the can to shake it and spilled some poly on the floor and all over my hands. Since poly is not washable I had to go get some paint thinner to get it off my hands before I went any further. Tim had also suggested I put gloves on which I was going to do after I poured the poly into the paint tray. I got all cleaned up and got back to business. As I started rolling the poly on the gable then moved to the ceiling I thought how easy this was until I started to get dripped on. I then rolled the ceiling again to stop the drips and then moved on. I thought everything was going well and I was even getting better at controlling the dripping when I realized how fast poly absorbs. What should have been enough poly in the paint tray to do half of the ceiling (by comparison with paint) ended up being enough for a little over a third of the ceiling. I continued on and I did use the entire can of polyurethane to finish the ceiling; I just had enough. The ceiling looks great and it still shows the natural color of the wood which is what I wanted to keep the cottage light. I watched Da Bears play yesterday and I hated the first half. Nothing was working for the Bears until the very end of the first half when they finally got a break with penalties. Then the second half started and it just got better. Now the San Francisco 49ers is one of the other teams I follow but when one of my teams I follow play Da Bears my loyalies stay with Da Bears. Well, last night's 4th Quarter was great and Da Bears won! Way to go Bears!

No comments:

Post a Comment