Our view

Our view

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Happy Halloween And Carving Pumpkins

Happy Halloween! On Halloween there is something special having a freshly carved pumpkin.  I think it is a combination of my childhood and my childrens.  I do remember carving pumpkins as kids but it was mostly my brothers carving the pumpkins and Pam and I watched.  I think the first time I ever carved a pumpkin by myself  was when I was in college.  After that I carved one almost every year.  When my kids were little we would carve three pumpkins.  One for Carrie, one for Jenny and one for the whole family.  As they grew they eventually got to carve their own pumpkins.  I missed a few Halloweens while Tim and I were on the road traveling.  My kids now get their own pumpkins and carve them which makes me happy that the tradition stays alive.  The best part of carving pumpkins is to get the pumpkin seeds.  I love to roast the seeds and eat them. 
Yesterday I took a step further in my carving and I carved two bats in one of the pumpkins I was carving and then my traditional pumpkin face in the other pumpkin and carving two pumpkins gave me even more pumpkin seeds! 
Here is my public service announcement, Don't forget to turn your clocks back one hour when you go to bed tonight.  Daylight savings time has come to an end.  So here's to an extra hour of sleep and getting dark at 5:00 pm.  Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment