Our view

Our view

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A Project Made With Foam Core

I love Pinterest!  It is a great site to get ideas, recipes, gifts, etc.  My sister Pam has given me an entire set of Stampin Up ink pads so I could have every color.  This was a great gift and one that would also help when she needed me to help with her SAS.  The inks come in four different boxes, which was great for traveling, but now that I have my own space I wanted a place to put the ink pads.  This is where Pinterest comes in.  I was searching the site for storage ideas for the ink pads and there were some great organizers but they were all too expensive.  I came across this one site that had an organizer for the ink pads but it was completely made out of foam core.  It had the complete instructions with measurements.  I decided to give it a try.  The site is revelinker.blogspot.com and she shares the instructions and tutorial for free as long as you don't mass produce them yourself to sell.  She does have a copywriter on the design.  Well, I have no interest to sell them and I appreciate Rebelinker for sharing.
I went and purchased two foam core boards for $1.00 a piece.  The only other things I needed was hot glue, an extacto knife and a ruler or yard stick which I already had.  I measured out all the pieces needed, double checked my measurements then cut the foam board.  After the pieces were cut I was ready to build the ink holder.  The directions were very good and easy to follow.  The ink holder turned out great and is surprisingly strong.  The whole process took me two hours and it turned out really well.  I put all my ink pads in the holder and I was done!
I showed George my creation, he was passing by the cottage, and he thought it was pretty cool.  He helped me figure how I could place it in a better place then having to leave it on the workbench.  His suggestion was to mount the holder to the wall but I knew the foam core would not be able to support the weight or hang well so together we came up with the idea of placing it on a small shelf on the wall.  Yesterday Tim and I went to Lowes, yes we still go to Lowes at least once a week, and purchased a shelf and brackets.  Tim cut down the shelf and hung it yesterday so now I have my ink holder organizer hung directly under my ribbon and punch organizer.  The ink organizer only cost me $2.00 to make and with the cost of the shelf and brackets the whole thing cost $17.00.  Had I purchased an ink organizer on line or in the store it would of run me anywhere from $60 to $150.  I am hsppy with my ink holder and I saved a lot of money by doing it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment