Our view

Our view

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pear Sauce

I did something I have never done before, I made homemade Pear Sauce. Pear Sauce is like applesauce but made with pears. Our friends Larry and Linda have a pear tree that produced a lot of pears and last Sunday that gave Lisa and I a bag to share. I was not sure what I was going to do with all the pairs because I only like pears, Tim does not. So I was looking through Pinterest and found a very easy recipe to make pear sauce. I told Lisa about it and we decided to put our pears together and make a batch. George and Lisa's pear tree did yeild a few pears that we added to the other pears. Well after we started peeling the pears, a sticky mess, we had peeled enough pears for two batches. The pears were really good, how do I know? We did some snacking while we were peeling. The recipe, I will post it at the bottom of this blog, was easy and only consisted of 5 ingredients not counting the pears. Now I have never made any kind of fruit sauce nor have I ever made jelly or jam but after this, I might do applesauce next. We cut up the pears into 1 inch cubes and placed them into a big pot. I then added the rest of the ingredients and cooked the pears until they were soft. This is the area trial and error happened. I followed the directions, cooked the pears for 30 minutes until soft stirrng occasionally. Well after 30 minutes the pears were still hard so I turned up the heat a bit and covered the pot with a lid and in 30 minutes they were finally soft. The smell of the ingredints was really good. It was like a cinnamon pear potpourri. After the pears cooled we put the mixture into a blender and blended for a minute or two. We let the pear sauce cool then placed it in some tupperware. We then made the second batch, in the 30 plus minutes, using my cooking directions. The pear sauce tastes so good. With the two batches we made we each got a container to freeze and a jar to eat. It was so simple and tasty that I want to try it with apples next. Try it, I think you will like it. Here is the recipe: Easy Pear Sauce Ingredients 8 -10 pears, cored, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces 1/4 cup water 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice ( I used bottled) 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Directions 1. Combine pears and the rest of the ingredients in a large sauce pan or pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pears have softened, about 25-30 minutes. ( I covered the pears to aid in cooking) 2. Use an immgersion blender to process the pear sauce until smooth. If you prefer a chunky sauce use a potato masher. A blender or food processor can be used too. (I used a blender) 3. Once the pear sauce has cooled down, pour into glass or plastic containers. Cover and store in refrigerator. The pear sauce can be kept in the fridge for a week or it can be frozen too. There is no sugar in the pear sauce so it is very low in calories. Also good served as a topping with pancakes, waffles, toast or over ice cream. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment