Our view

Our view

Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Parathyroid

Yesterday, Lisa and I drove into Knoxville so Lisa could run a couple of errands and I could get myself pre-registered at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center for some surgery I am having Monday, April 4th.  I have a parathyroid issue and needs to be removed. The parathyroid is a gland in the thyroid that secretes a hormone, parathyroid hormone, that regulates calcium levels in a person's body. The parathyroid, all four, sit behind the thyroid which is located in the neck just below the adam's apple and above the voice box.   The only way to remove the bad parathyroid is to cut open the throat and get behind the thyroid.  They have located the bad parathyroid, apparently they move around sometimes, when I had a scan done on my throat back in January and an Ultrasound done in March.  I have a very good surgeon who has been highly recommended and is very good at this kind of procedure.  The surgery could take a little time and I will have to stay in the hospital overnight.  Tim and Lisa will be taking me to the hospital on Monday morning and will be there for the surgery.  I have not been in the hospital since I had Jenny which is also the last time I had surgery.  So, this should be a fun experience...not!  Look for updates through out the week and on Facebook.
After our fun in Knoxville we headed over to Morristown for lunch and do some grocery shopping.  Yesterday, although cloudy, was a nice warm day so we decided to grill and enjoy a nice evening.  Thanks Lisa for a nice day together and thanks to Tim, George and Lisa for a nice evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment