Our view

Our view

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Pickles, Pasta Sauce and Rio 2016

What does Pickles, Pasta Sauce and Rio 2016 have in common?  It is called a Saturday to us.  We started our day down in the orchard harvesting another and the surprise crop of the day was eggplant.  We thought we had two maybe three growing but when I checked the eggplant plants I ended up picking six eggplants.  George has always  liked eggplant but for Lisa and I it is a new thing and we like it as eggplant parmesan but am not sure what other ways we may like and we are too chicken to try so what happens with all the eggplants picked?  Make eggplant parmesan and freeze it!  I did pick more pickling cucumbers that I thought I would so after the harvest and getting cleaned up we made another 7 quarts of bread and butter pickles and then made 5 quarts of pasta sauce.  During all of this canning we did have the Olympics on and even though I was not impressed with the opening ceremonies the games have been great.  Watching the USA first gold medal being won while watching shooting is not something I would ordinarily watch but because it is the Olympics I loved it.  Same with the cycling road race; that was one tough course and the finish was totally unexpected. Even better the USA teams are getting off with a good start winning their games in Beach Volleyball, Volleyball, Soccer, Field Hockey and Basketball.  All in all the first day of the Olympics were fun to watch and we even accomplished some farm stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment