Our view

Our view

Monday, November 14, 2016

The Crafty Cottage Barn Quilt

In a post in October I had mentioned that I was working on a project that I would be sharing later on and today is the day I share it.  I know that I have shared my new found fascination with barn quilts and after going on two barn quilt tours and creating one for my mail box I decided it was time to make a barn quilt for the Crafty Cottage.  I finally picked a pattern I liked and I knew I wanted to use bright colors on it.  Tim and George had saved me a nice piece of siding from when there were working on the shed addition.  The piece was 24 inches by 24 inches and Tim painted the entire piece white so I would have a clean canvas.  I gathered all my materials, pencil, ruler or yard stick, paint, brushes and green Frog tape.  I chose green frog tape over the regular blue tape because it leaves cleaner edges not allowing paint to seep in.  I picked my design, I found a ton of barn quilt designs on Pinterest, and started to draw the design on the board with a pencil.  After the design was drawn I used the frog tape and started taping around the areas of where I was going to paint first.  I decided to paint the orange color first because that color had the most spots.  After painting the first coat I followed with a second coat before moving on to the next color.  I continued the same process until all the colors were painted.  I then went over and touched up the paint that may have run or did not meet up to the lines.  Once I was done painting the barn quilt Tim took over and sealed the barn quilt with a poly seal so the barn quilt will weather well.  The next day Tim hung the barn quilt on the Crafty Cottage and my barn quilt was complete.  I love the way it turned out and from the RV you can really see the barn quilt with its bright colors.  It was fun to create one and I am ready to create another but have to figure out where it would go.  I guess until I do I will just enjoy my barn quilt.

1 comment: