Our view

Our view

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Art Of Using Recycled Wood Panels

Okay, maybe it is not "art" but science would sound silly however there is something we used while piecing our bead board panels together to place on the walls of the Crafty Cottage. We have been very fortunate to have been given leftovers from George and Lisa's house and we have used every piece of the recycled pieces. It has not been too tough to work with the leftovers until now. I am not complaining because I really appeciate all that we have been given to work with. Anyway, if we had purchased the paneling we would be able to just put up the paneling and cut the holes for the outlets and be done. The paneling we are working with has outlet holes alreay cut (not in the right place) or has cutouts for other things, i.e. windows. We did manage to find enough long panels to work but the tongue and groove element goes out the window when they get cut off for placement. The good thing is Tim and I worked together well finding the pieces that would work or not work without any problems. We manage to get the tall walls done in the cottage and although it may not look pretty (with some small gaps) they are liveable and nothing a little trim won't fix. We still have the loft area to finish but that will be easier because the walls are shorter which gives us more options with the panels we have left. Tim then hung the ceiling fan in the cabin and it looks really good. Thanks Tim, I know the climbing up and down the ladder was not fun but the results look great. With having the walls up, the ceiling done and the ceiling fan hung I have decided that the walls and the ceiling are too close in color and so I am thinking about painting the walls so that it helps keep the cottage bright. Lighting is huge to me because of the paper crafting that I do. I need a lot of good light so I want the interior of the cottage to be light. The tongue and groove ceiling is perfect but I think the walls are a little dark. What to you think? Check out the pictures I post and tell me if I should leave the bead board paneling as it is or paint it. Leave a comment, email me, message me, text me or leave a comment on Facebook or Twitter. I am open to all opinions. Thank you to all who left me notes and comments about the flooring for the cottage. The consenses is wood laminate flooring that is durable, groove free and not using the cheapest grade of laminate. Today we will not be working on the cottage because we will busy entertaining our second visitors to the farm. Check back tomorrow and see who came for a visit. All I will say is that I have mentioned them in my Travels With Ruth blog and we have been friends for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment